Saturday, January 19, 2013

Into each life some pain must fall

1-19-13
This past week was quite a struggle.  The first struggle was back pain that followed a nerve all the way down to my left foot after wrapping around my knee.  It wasn't constant, though, it would spasm and I could never figure out what started it.  Finally went to the dr. on Thurs. and got some relief.  I have high hopes that it will get all better very soon.  My sister also sent me some exercises she does for her back and I've been doing the exercises.  Here's hoping (and praying)!

The next struggle was the annual training to do taxes voluntarily for AARP Tax Aide.  I love doing this each year, but hate, hate, hate taking tests.  We lucked out this year, though, because the test was the same as last year, so we could use last year's test as a double check once the problem was figured out, we could check to ensure it was correct and if not could figure out where we went wrong.  The questions were worded a little differently for 2012 taxes so you had to keep alert.  Did the test online and got 90 for basic, 95 for intermediate, and 100 for advanced!!  I was so excited.  Now to practice some more and get ready for the first clients on the 28th.

For some reason I've really felt the 1700+ miles between NJ and TX - it's wrenching to be so far away from Malissa, the grandkids, Alice, and friends!  I know I would desperately miss everyone here if I were there, but it's so hard sometimes.

Books - Finished reading "Window Maker" by Charles Allen who made the windows for the Nauvoo Temple!  Wow it was so inspiring.  I loved reading how the Spirit directed him at the time he needed direction.  It's so reassuring to know that Heavenly Father will assist us when we need Him to be there for us.
     Decided to not finish reading our book club selection for January.  It was "The Happiness Project" by Gertrude Rubin.  I just got tired of it. . . February book club selection is "Warriors Don't Cry" by Melba Pattillo Beals and it's about the battle to integrate Little Rock's Central High School.  March is "Ella Minnow Pea" by Mark Dunn.  It's a story about a fictional island off the coast of SC named for the author who wrote "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."  When the letter "Z" falls off the statue of this quote, the town offiials make a law that the letter "Z" can no longer be used!  Sounds like a fun book.  Can't wait to get into it!!

Many years ago our good friends Brad & Anita Colwell lived in Big Spring with their two children Chris and Valerie who were like grandchildren to us.  While Chris was on his mission, it was fun to write to him and now he just got engaged today!  I'm very excited for him.  Also, this past week Valerie left for her mission to Knoxville, TN.  I'm so proud of these kids and how they've grown up!

I'm planning to make next week better by organizing my time better - yeah, right!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment